Gutsy Cooks is Back on - JOIN US!
I created Gutsy Cooks because I saw myself baking more than cooking and I wanted to challenge myself more with the savory end of cooking. I needed a push and looking at my extensive cookbook library I found that I had so many great books that I barely touch. Sure I would refer to them when I needed to make something, but what was the point of having it if I was not going to cook from it?
I needed to change that, so I set myself to pick a book and cook my way through it. I was already part of many baking clubs and knew that having this type of incentive worked for me so I send the word out and was surprise when some of my fellow bakers express their desired to cook more savory dishes as well and quickly ask that they join me in this adventure. So we picked a name and here we are - cooking along.
Then things changed up, my fellow Gutsy Cooks, wanted a change. We sort of felt tied down to a particular cookbook so we decided to change it up. Now, everyone sends me their Kitchen bucket list, meaning those recipes that you been putting aside from magazines, internet, in your dreams, or even marked in those cookbooks - every month I post a line up of recipes based on feedback and what catches my fancy.
Like any cooking club, there are some rules to play by, here are ours:
- You must have a blog.
- Participating means that you create the posted recipe, photograph it (if at all possible) and then post your thoughts on the final outcome on your own blog weekly.
- This is a weekly event. Each week you will have a choice of cooking the selected recipe menu for that week and then post it on your blog Sunday night or even Monday. You can check out the Gutssy Announcement page for the month/week’s menu options. You can post later than Sunday, but not before. Then you can come back and LYL (leave your link) to that weeks post in the corresponding Gutsy Announcement, so everyone has a centralized location to check everyone’s out.
- In order to keep an “active” role in the group, we ask that you commit yourself to making at least two recipes a month. If you participate every week, fantastic! If you participate every other week, grand! If for some reason you cannot participate due to some unforeseen circumstances, you need to let me know, so I don’t think you drop off the group, but simply taking a break. But of course, if you do want to drop off the group, no problem, send me an email and I will remove your blog from our list.
- If a chosen recipe does not meet your dietary restrictions (vegetarian, diabetic, allergies, etc.) you can omit or substitute an ingredient, if it’s too expensive, or unavailable or too hard to find locally, but do try to stick to the recipe as much as possible. I try to give you a heads up and suggestions on this in the Gutsy Announcement section when I talk about that week’s menu.
Some tips for success:
- If you see a recipe step that gives you pause and you are not sure about anything - that is what we are here for, to help and learn from each other, don’t be shy in asking, I been cooking for most of my life and I still have those “uh?” moments when I look at a recipe. Just post your questions in the respective Gutsy Announcement weekly menu post and you will get a response from either me or the other cooks.
- Some of you may want to post the full recipe, and while I do encourage to practice and respect the publisher copyright laws, there is ways that you can post them if your “adapt” it to make it your own. You can read two great discussion of this topic in Food Blog Forum and it can be found here and here. There is also a great article by David Lebovitz and it can be found here. This will give you different options in how to “adapt” the recipe in order to meet copyright laws.
and on a final note….
- I know we are all busy and sometimes we don’t have the time, but I encourage you to visit your fellow Gutsy Cook Blogs and comment on their post, this way we get to know and learn from each other.
So, if I have not scare you away and you would like to join us and participate in the fun, email me with the subject line: “Gutsy Cooks I’m IN” and please include:
- Your name
- Blog Name and URL address
- Email address
- Geographical Location (where are you cooking from!)
Once you join up I will
- Place you and your blog in our Gutsy Blog List and Links,
- Send you the Gutsy Cooks Badge for you to place in your blog and link back to us
- And be available for any questions you may have.
So, what are you waiting for, be Gutsy!